Cyberpunk 2077 Getting A Netflix Anime Series
Cyberpunk 2077 won’t just be a video game based on Mike Pondsmith’s tabletop game. It will also have its own Netflix series. And it’s an anime series.
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners is an upcoming anime coming to Netflix being made by Studio Trigger. This is the team behind hit series like Kill La Kill, SSSS Gridman, Promare, BNA: Brand New Animal and more.
Cyberpunk Edgerunners will be a 10-episode about “a street kid trying to survive in a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future.”
The series has a star-studded team behind it, with many Studio Trigger veterans involved. And it has Akira Yamaoka of Silent Hill fame as composer for the original score.
- Director: Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare)
- Assistant Director: Masahiko Otsuka (Gurren Lagann, Promare)
- Creative Director: Hiromi Wakabayashi (Kill la Kill)
- Character Designers: Yoh Yoshinari (Little Witch Academia, BNA: Brand New Animal), Yuto Kaneko (Little Witch Academia)
- Screenplay: Yoshiki Usa (SSSS.GRIDMAN, Promare), Masahiko Otsuka (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare)
- Orignal Score Composer: Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill series)
CD Projekt RED has found success with The Witcher’s Netflix adapation, so it’s cool to see them continuing this partnership with their next game. But to make it an anime and bringing in Studio Trigger for the job is quite the nice surprise.
“I’ve always loved cyberpunk as a genre, but always found it difficult to create as an original work,” said Director Hiroyuki Imaishi. “This is why I’m very excited to be working with CD Projekt RED on this project.
“It won’t be easy to please both game and anime fans, but I love a challenge, and I’m looking forward to the production. We’ll do our best to meet and exceed expectations.”
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners will be streaming on Netflix in 2022. So it’s still a long while. Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out on November 19 for the PS4, PC and Xbox One, and later to PS5, Xbox Series X and Stadia.