Lego Super Mario, the construction toy set from Lego, will be adding 2-player co-op.
This year, the Lego set line will not only be getting a new playable figure in the form of Lego Luigi and a few more expansion sets, but it’s also letting you have a player 2 while you pretend-play a video game using buildable toys based on Nintendo’s iconic video game franchise.
You don’t necessarily need a specific combination of Lego Mario and Lego Luigi to do 2-player co-op, however. Any combination of the two (two Lego Marios and two Lego Luigis) can also play co-op by connecting two of the Bluetooth-powered toy figures with the Lego Super Mario app.
Players get more coins by doing actions in sync. So walk, jump, flip and defeat enemies together to get a bigger score in your limited-time run, on your own creation of a Lego Mario stage.
Alongside the new 2-player co-op announcement is also the reveal of the 2021 Lego Super Mario expansion sets.
You have one new expansion with the main baddie Bowser, three other expansion sets, two new power-up packs (new leg and hat pieces for Lego Mario and Lego Luigi) as well as Series 3 of the Character Pack blind bags.
The full list of the newly revealed 2021 Lego Super Mario sets in Malaysia are as follows:
- 71391 Bowser’s Airship Expansion Set (RM499.90)
- 71388 Boss Sumo Bro Topple Tower Expansion Set (RM149.90)
- 71389 Lakitu Sky World Expansion Set (RM179.90)
- 71390 Reznor Knockdown Expansion Set (RM329.90)
- 71392 Frog Mario Power-Up Pack (RM49.90)
- 71393 Bee Mario Power-Up Pack (RM49.90)
- 71394 Character Packs – Series 3 (10 collectible Character Packs, including Galoomba, Parachute Bob-omb, Crowber, Boo, Amp, Torpedo Ted, Bony Beetle, 1-Up Mushroom, Scuttlebug and Swoop) (RM16.90)
We’ve commended the efforts the Lego Group is going with adapting the Super Mario IP into a mashup of video games and the usual pretend-play that we do with toys in our review of the initial Lego Super Mario Starter Course set.
The inclusion of 2-player co-op feature just as they introduce Luigi, the original player 2 character from the Mario Bros. games, makes so much thematic sense.
The Lego Super Mario Adventures with Luigi Starter Course is still set for release later on August 1 in Malaysia, priced at RM259, with pre-orders still open on Lego Malaysia’s official site, Lego certified stores, Legoland, Toys ‘R’ Us, and the official Lego Store on Lazada and Shopee.